Top Reported Lyme Cases
Lyme Disease is a debilitating vector disease caused by tick bites that can affect all warm-blooded mammals including wildlife, humans and pets. Because April is Lyme Disease Prevention In Dogs Month, pet owners are encouraged to do their research on Lyme Disease and how to protect dogs from tick bites.
These U.S. states continue to have the highest reported cases of Lyme Disease (in no particular order):
- New York
- New Jersey
- New Hampshire
Although there is a vaccine for dogs with Lyme Disease, it does not provide complete protection against the disease. Dogs 12 weeks of age or older should initially receive two vaccines 2-4 weeks apart and an annual booster thereafter.
To prevent Lyme Disease in dogs, it is worth:
- Applying tick repellents to yards
- Using dog tick shampoos after outdoor activity
- Building a pet fence to keep out wildlife that may carry ticks
- Remove ticks with tick tweezers
- Always groom dogs after outside playtime
- Jenn Smith