Exercise With Your Cats
Cats need exercise, too; and pet owners leaving cats inside all day are doing a disservice to their kitties. Dogs need at least 30 minutes of daily exercise to maintain healthy bones and joints; but cats really only need at least 10-15 minutes each day. Here are a few ideas to play with cats outside.
- To treat cats, owners can add cat nip to the tip of toys and allow cats to chase after the toy. They can also stretch or leap for the toy to get the catnip as a reward (positive reinforcement).
- Cat Towers are inexpensive and are easy to make for the do-it-yourself-er. These towers let cats pounce from level to level and help maintain strong bones.
- Make a scratching post for cats.
- Make cats chase balls, string or laser pointers.
- Let them play with other domestic animals from inside a secure cat fence.
In the meantime, ditch low-quality food and stop over-feeding cats!