Survey: Big Or Small Dogs
Americans love owning pets. In fact, sixty eight percent of American households have companion pets ranging from dogs and cats to livestock animals and exotic fish.
When it comes to dogs, some are preferred over other dog breeds - such as Golden Retrievers, German Shepherds and Labradors; and what we learn is that size does matter.
Americans prefer large dogs over small dogs.
A survey conducted by "California-based pet care rating and recommendation website RightPet, was conducted online between 2010 and 2018, and examined 23,550 dog breed reviews from 12,167 pet owners from 106 countries." (VMDToday.com)
Here is what the data showed:
- Both men and women preferred large dogs - despite statistics showing that women prefer cats over dogs.
- Men and younger people are more satisfied with medium to large sized dogs. (Could be a complex?)
- Women like that dogs are kid-friendly companion pets.
- Older couples did not mind the size of the pet, but they preferred having one in their homes.
When thinking about pet adoption, it's best to consider your own lifestyle. Do you have kids or are you planning to have a family soon? Is the dog breed safe around children? Are you prepared to board dogs if planning weekend getaways and lengthy vacations? Can you handle high energy dogs?
These are all questions to ask to become a responsible dog owner.
- Need dog fencing? Click here to see humane alternatives to electric fence in dogs.