Winter Plants Toxic

Winter holiday plants are beautiful and certainly get people into the holiday spirit. But, some winter plants that are kept before or after the holidays may be toxic for pets and can make dogs and cats very ill.

Here are the plants that pet owners must be cautious about keeping around pets:

Poinsettia Plants: The sap on the leaves can irritate the mouth and esophagus of animals. If the leaves are ingested, pets can become nauseated and vomit. 

Holly: These plants have a high toxicity level than poinsettia plants and can cause diarrhea, excessive drooling and abdominal pains in pets. 

Lilly and daffodils: While these plants are used to deter deer, they are not as good for pets. Lilly is more dangerous for cats than dogs. Eating a small amount of Lilly can cause gastrointestinal issues, arrhythmia, and convulsions in cats. 

These plants can be inside or outside. If you plan to have outside pets, grow these winter plants away from pet fencing. If indoors, keep the plants out of reach of pets. 

Poinsettia plants and petsWinter holiday plantsWinter plants toxic to pets