June is Adopt a Cat Month
Because April was the start of kitten season, we saw an increase in feline breeding patterns; and while we love the sight of kittens, these cats now become part of the estimated 70 million homeless cats in the United States. For this reason, EasyPetFence.com is joining animal shelters and cat rescue groups nationwide in the fight to get cats off the streets and into clean, forever homes this Adopt a Cat Month, brought to you by American Humane.
Cat Adoption Is Needed
Fact: Approximately 6.5 million companion animals enter U.S. animal shelters nationwide every year; and out of those, 860,000 cats are euthanized. More often than not, adult cats are put-down because prospective pet owners hope for kittens instead of older pets.
Many new pet owners may feel unsure about adopting a cat from a shelter because of possible physical or mental trauma from past owners. Shelter cats can make wonderful pets and should be considered for adoption. Because only about 2 percent of cats that enter into shelters are reunited with their owners, pet adoption may be their last chance before euthanization.
Why Adopt Cats?
Cats make wonderful pets especially for the active personalities that are constantly on-the-go and away from their homes. Cats play well with other pets and can live up to 16+ years if healthy and fit. Here are a few more good reasons to own cats:
- Cats are independent and do not require outside "walks" like dogs, as they are litter-box trained.
- Hearing a cat purr will melt your heart!
- Cats do not require bathing. They are able to wash themselves; and groom daily.
- Cats can be trained not to scratch furniture and can retrieve toys
- Cats can play outside with other animals in the yard - all they need is a fence enclosure designed for cats - much different than a standard catio which does not offer much room to run and play.
70 percent of shelter intakes are comprised of cats. Have you considered cat adoption? Celebrate Adopt a Cat Month with EasyPetFence.com for the love of cats! Follow the conversation on @EasyPetFence.com Facebook page using hashtag #AdoptACatMonth.