Gardeners are excited that spring is almost here; which means that they will be spending more time planting their favorite spring flowers. While spring brings beautiful flowers, some flowers are considered toxic to both dogs and cats and can make domestic animals very sick if ingested.
Toxic plants to cats:
- Amaryllis (Amaryllis sp.)
- Autumn Crocus (Colchicum autumnale)
- Azaleas and Rhododendrons (Rhododendron sp.)
- Castor Bean (Ricinus communis)
- Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum sp.)
- Cyclamen (Cyclamen sp.)
- English Ivy (Hedera helix)
- Kalanchoe (Kalanchoe sp.
Toxic plants to dogs:
- Autumn Crocus
- Sago Palm
Keep in mind that these plants are toxic to domestic pets; but some flowers, such as daffodils, are deer-resistant and will protect gardens from deer damage.