Toxic Fall Plants To Dogs
Dogs Fall Ill To These Autumn Plants
Fall is a favorite season for gardening and enjoying the great outdoors; however, if home gardeners don't do their research, and pay close enough attention to what their pets are sniffing, they may find out the hard way that their companion animals are violently ill because of what they planted. Keep puppies and adult dogs away from these fall flowers and trees:
Autumn Crocus: These fall blooms are extremely toxic to dogs and will lead them to have indigestion consisting of vomiting and diarrhea or even organ failure and death if consumed in large quantities.
Lilies, Mums and Daisies: These fall plants to grow are used by gardeners to rid deer from lawns and gardens; however, pet owners will need to keep their dogs away from them. These colorful fall time favorites can make dogs sick giving them diarrhea, excessive drooling and wobbliness. Lilies are the worse, though. Even consuming a small amount can cause kidney failure in dogs.
Apples, peach, apricot and plum: Fallen fruit from fruit growing trees should never be given to dogs. Apples contain cyanide which is toxic to dogs, affecting oxygen transport, leading them to have difficulty breathing, upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea. Even worse, dogs can go into shock and even die.
Mushrooms: Dogs eating mushrooms can cause vomiting in as little as 15 minutes and can last for several hours or days. Eating too many mushrooms can lead to an early death in dogs.
Walnuts and acorns: These are nuts to avoid feeding dogs. Black walnuts can give dogs tremors and seizures and acorns will obstruct the GI tract in dogs, causing discomfort and obstruction.
Red Maples and Oak: Trees are fun to decorate during the holidays, but some types of trees are not suitable for consumption by pets. The toxic element in red maple trees is unknown; however, dogs that ingest the leaves incur abdominal pains, lack of appetite, change in urine color and lethargy. Eating oak trees is a bad thing for dogs due to tannic acid, leading to GI upset, vomiting, diarrhea and over all discomfort.